• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3D Realms Shutting Down

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Yeah, The official statement is coming.
Hopefully "hey guys, it was a joke. calm down"

Yes guys, im in denial as well. I just can't believe this happened...

User is offline   ThePinkus 

There's really no logical reasoning for being in denial right now

3DR has closed down and employees have been let go

That's basically all there is right now. The game is not being worked on by the original guys.

User is offline   Iggy 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on May 8 2009, 12:50 AM, said:

I'm still 50/50 on this until I see the official statement hopefully today.

Same here, I can only hope for the best.

User is offline   Tedades 

Joe's new post today:

[replies to 3drealms.com being offline:]
I'm guessing the same server issue that crashed it the night before crashed it again. Won't be able to fix it until we get back to the office in the morning.

[replies to the situation being a marketing trick:]
Stop that. It is not. Getting tired of seeing this.

[replies to the 3dr site showing DNF has gone gold:]
For the love of God.. It's a photoshop.

User is offline   Spiker 

You may be shocked by I don't really care if 3DR survives or not. The same is for DNF, it's a pity but I can live without it. The greatest game from 3DR was released in 1996 and I doubt DNF would change that. And the biggest mistake of 3DR was giving right to Blood to Monolith.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostSpiker, on May 8 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

And the biggest mistake of 3DR was giving right to Blood to Monolith.

Why? Blood turned out great, one of the best first person shooters of all times.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

...and Blood 2 killed the franchise, for a reason or another.

User is offline   ashley678 

i still think 3d realms wanted 5 million so they could buy back the rights.

User is offline   trackit 

soo... and if they couldnt buy back the rights then the only option was to shut down 3DR? i dont get it.

they didnt want take 2 making money from duke nukem forever is how i see things.

they asked take two for 5 million which they needed to buy the rights back.

instead take 2 no. so basically 3d realms were just like fuck you then lol

User is offline   trackit 

i dont think so...

and if they wanted to buy the rights back from take 2 then how come they asked 5 mil from them? usually buying means that you are the one who pays :rolleyes:

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Isnt the whole 5mil thing just a rumor?

yeah it is but its coming true.

it would explain georges visits over to them with the game.

i mean he hasnt mentioned in the past going over there. an all of the sudden he is showing off the game to them. sounds fishy that he was trying to get them intrested an they wernt buying into it.

User is offline   zwieback 

there's a rumor that it is actually a rumor.

btw. sorry for the bad translation i posted yesterday - i just read the german version and saw that somebody already translated it (well with bablefish as i figured out later)

they don't want Take 2 to make any money off it if they're not going to help fund finishing it's development. If they didn't care about Take 2 making money, they'd just leave 3d realms open and layoff half the staff.

DNF will come out eventually. None throws so much time of development in the garbage can.

It's just that i hate to see the introduction video of DNF (trailer or game) without the 3d realms logo....so weird...so wrong

This post has been edited by Woodensword: 08 May 2009 - 04:21 AM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Ashley678, can you stop posting nonsense, please?

3DR are not closing down, throwing away the DNF project and possibly millions of dollars just to spite a publisher that has stuck with them for years.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Yeah!
The truth is he blew the money on pizza, beer, drugs and hookers. (oh and the WoW fees)

View PostX-Vector, on May 8 2009, 05:22 AM, said:

Ashley678, can you stop posting nonsense, please?

3DR are not closing down, throwing away the DNF project and possibly millions of dollars just to spite a publisher that has stuck with them for years.

keep that in mind. but i dont think so.

User is offline   Lead 

If all the bits and pieces mentioned in various places (true or not) were put together it would go something like this:

• George and Scott own equal parts of 3D Realms.
  • DNF taking forever to make costs tons of money.
  • Scott who is arguably the smarter businessman gets tired of this over time and doesn't want to dump his money into it anymore.
  • Scott looks to other things like Radar Group and newly launched Apogee Software LLC and leaves 3D Realms in Georges hands.
  • Scott is still technically a manager at 3D Realms but is effectively done with 3D Realms at that point.
  • Scott is now free to run companies as he sees fit without dealing with a 50% partner.
  • A year or so later George wasn't able to handle it, especially with lack of Scott's personal and financial cooperation.
  • Eventually funds begin to run low.
  • Since Scott is out, and so is money, George drives out to California to show Take 2 the game in an attempt to wow them into funding development to finish DNF.
  • Vague references were made to Take 2 possibly having (verbally) promising money, but didn't deliver.
  • When George requested the $5 million from Take 2 so DNF development could be funded.
  • Take 2 counter-offered with giving 3D Realms $30 million instead.... *IF*3D Realms sells all rights to the Duke IP. (currently Take2's only has publishing rights)
  • George\They refuse this and keep the Duke IP, instead shutting down the company and going on life support.
  • The purpose of not selling the IP is because the Duke IP still has the potential to make money, and it is their trademark. It would be like iD selling the Doom IP.
  • George is said to have previously went to iD Software and Epic in an attempt to make a deal with funding for them, but is turned down.
  • ..was also said to still have plans to contact other companies to make similar requests.
  • A company in a better position to spend $5 million, such as EA or Microsoft are seen as the most likely candidates for possibly investing in saving DNF.

Originally Posted by Weses
I could barely sleep last night just thinking of how much time we've wasted anticipating DNF. It better not get canceled. Come on, don't do this to me. DON'T DO THIS TO US

Joe reply

I could barely sleep last night worrying about where my paychecks will come from after the final one I get in a week. I could barely sleep worrying that I will be able to be successful in a replacement job. I could barely sleep knowing that I have a baby coming in three weeks right after I cease getting paid. DON'T DO THIS TO ME BY WHINING ABOUT A GAME. Some of us have REAL MAJOR life problems. It's just a game. Who cares? My life and my family are at risk. Don't insult me.

Joe has changed the thread title too

This post has been edited by ashley678: 08 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

"# George is said to have previously went to iD Software and Epic in an attempt to make a deal with funding for them, but is turned down."

Where did you find this bit or those bits about Radar Group and Apogee being set up because Scott was tired of DNF?

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

He didn't find them anywhere.
They're guesses

View PostLead, on May 8 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

If all the bits and pieces mentioned in various places (true or not) were put together it would go something like this:

• George and Scott own equal parts of 3D Realms.
  • DNF taking forever to make costs tons of money.
  • Scott who is arguably the smarter businessman gets tired of this over time and doesn't want to dump his money into it anymore.
  • Scott looks to other things like Radar Group and newly launched Apogee Software LLC and leaves 3D Realms in Georges hands.
  • Scott is still technically a manager at 3D Realms but is effectively done with 3D Realms at that point.
  • Scott is now free to run companies as he sees fit without dealing with a 50% partner.
  • A year or so later George wasn't able to handle it, especially with lack of Scott's personal and financial cooperation.
  • Eventually funds begin to run low.
  • Since Scott is out, and so is money, George drives out to California to show Take 2 the game in an attempt to wow them into funding development to finish DNF.
  • Vague references were made to Take 2 possibly having (verbally) promising money, but didn't deliver.
  • When George requested the $5 million from Take 2 so DNF development could be funded.
  • Take 2 counter-offered with giving 3D Realms $30 million instead.... *IF*3D Realms sells all rights to the Duke IP. (currently Take2's only has publishing rights)
  • George\They refuse this and keep the Duke IP, instead shutting down the company and going on life support.
  • The purpose of not selling the IP is because the Duke IP still has the potential to make money, and it is their trademark. It would be like iD selling the Doom IP.
  • George is said to have previously went to iD Software and Epic in an attempt to make a deal with funding for them, but is turned down.
  • ..was also said to still have plans to contact other companies to make similar requests.
  • A company in a better position to spend $5 million, such as EA or Microsoft are seen as the most likely candidates for possibly investing in saving DNF.

sounds logically.
Wonder if its kinda true.
:rolleyes:

View PostKristian Joensen, on May 8 2009, 02:55 PM, said:

"# George is said to have previously went to iD Software and Epic in an attempt to make a deal with funding for them, but is turned down."

Where did you find this bit or those bits about Radar Group and Apogee being set up because Scott was tired of DNF?

good to see you...I was seriously worried about you!

Originally Posted by Andy018
So is there no rescue plan being worked on? Merging for example with a bigger company or publisher.. Take Two/EA et al?

Joe
Why do people assume these options weren't explored? What puzzles me is people think these things didn't happen, because they didn't hear about them. While I'm not going into details, most people seem to be operating under the assumption of "Well, we're going out of business, let's not try anything". Come on...

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostLead, on May 8 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

[*]Take 2 counter-offered with giving 3D Realms $30 million instead.... *IF*3D Realms sells all rights to the Duke IP. (currently Take2's only has publishing rights)
[/list]

The comment I read mentions that Take2 actually offered to sell the "franchise" (= publishing rights, I assume) back to 3DR for $30 million.

I wonder what Scott is thinking of all that? Does he says "I don't care anymore...let George crash the DNF train! Its non of my business"

if so that would be terribly sad. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Jobi-Wan Kenobi: 08 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   WestSeven 

View PostX-Vector, on May 8 2009, 06:28 AM, said:

The comment I read mentions that Take2 actually offered to sell the "franchise" (= publishing rights, I assume) back to 3DR for $30 million.

That's my understanding too. I think 3DR have had money from T2 in the past so the 30 million is probably just T2 asking for their money back.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

see the update on http://duke.a-13.net/

Share this topic:

• 55 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options