Duke4.net Forums: Att. 3d Realms Community - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Att. 3d Realms Community  "The Community Thrives Here"

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

We're all uncertain in regards to the fate of the 3D Realms forums. This has led to an increase in activity at our website here, with people flocking over to maintain the community.

I want to reassure everyone again that Duke4.net is NOT going to go anywhere and our website and forums are here to stay for you guys to enjoy for years to come.

Several people have suggested to create some new Duke4.net forum styles that reflect the colors of the 3DR forums, so users from there who migrate here can feel more at home. I've also been in contact with the Duke Nukem 3D modding community, who may be moving here. We'll create new forums to accommodate the situation accordingly. You'll probably also see some moderators from 3DR joining us, such as my friend TerminX who put his heart and soul into this community.

Please use this thread for other suggestions and questions regarding the migration of the community.

User is offline   Kathy 

I like vBullettin. But since it's not free, you won't be using it, right? I put my heart in making profile page there. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

I really hope at least parts of the community from the 3DR boards will live on. Unfortunately the general gaming crowd is probably going to spread all over the place :/.

Loosing the 3D Realms forums is the saddest part of all this as I found it to be the most mature and readable of all gaming forums of it's size.

I guess this will end up being my new "home" on the internetz.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostLotan, on May 7 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

I like vBullettin. But since it's not free, you won't be using it, right? I put my heart in making profile page there. :rolleyes:

The vB profile features are available on these forums too. We just have it disabled for the time being. But it's good that you mentioned this because many users will probably want that feature back, so we might just bring it back.

Also, vB isn't free, but neither is Invision Board, which is what we use. ;)

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

Bookmarking... complete.

Great ideas, I figured it was a short matter of time before some forum change talk came up! Merging forum dats would be nice, but seems unlikely though... at least an archive of the old ones would be great, which Joe has it looks like

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

vBulletin isn't dirt expensive, and would make all things easier. But of course this is up to the people that run Duke4.net.

User is offline   supergoofy 

It would be great if you can create special topics for:

Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
http://forums.3dreal...isplay.php?f=17

Shadow Warrior Source Code
http://forums.3dreal...isplay.php?f=30

Rise of the Triad Source Code
http://forums.3dreal...isplay.php?f=18

the way like it used to be at 3D Realms forums

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Ideally, yes, it would be nice to shift all conversation etc of HRP etc to here. I mean, the HRP is hosted by Duke4.net anyway.

User is offline   Nessus 

Maybe someone can reach out to guys like Scotty and Kristian Johnson. They have a lot of old stuff and maybe some remnants of what was on the old forums can be put in an archive or nostalgia section.

I have almost the entire 3D Realms site in it's final state if you want that for something (i'm sure we could pull the missing html files off archive.org - as i have almost all the graphics etc - the site went down whilst i was downloading it) I was gonna host it somewhere, if anyone else wants it for something, just ask. I don't have the forums though (i can't get those).

I like the idea of getting color schemes in here more like the 3d realms forums, could we not nick the stylesheet and graphics off them? i'm sure i could get those.

We could use some forums for Shadow Warrior things too.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 07 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Even if there's no skin change it definitely needs more sections, and differently laid out ones as well (and probably subforums).

User is offline   Kathy 

Can I be an admin in emo sub-forum?

This is getting old... :rolleyes:

• I have the power!

View PostLotan, on May 7 2009, 02:10 PM, said:

Can I be an admin in emo sub-forum?

This is getting old... :rolleyes:

If there is an emo sub forum....I will avoid that due to the massive fail it would be. ;)

On that note...how many Admins/Mods are there? Are there enough of you guys (after the 3DR mods maybe join your ranks) to handle the chaos that will ensue when 3DR drops completely?

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

@Fibbles
Duke4.net currently has 8 Admins, at least 4 of us frequently visit and manage the place every single day, and we have 3 moderators...

I like the idea of a 3DR style visual theme, and i'd deffinitely root for an extended user profile with profile customization features (-if this forum has that feature)
I feel bad for the whole 3DR story as it is right now, and where it is seemingly going, i hope we do a good enough job of playing the role of a decent 3DR forum replacement, to make old timers at 3DR feel "home" here...

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Flibbles, on May 7 2009, 10:12 PM, said:

If there is an emo sub forum....I will avoid that due to the massive fail it would be. :rolleyes:

No, you won't. Besides, right now the whole forum is emo.

On that note...how many Admins/Mods are there? Are there enough of you guys (after the 3DR mods maybe join your ranks) to handle the chaos that will ensue when 3DR drops completely?

There won't be chaos. Maybe the members list will be doubled, but that's it. Duke4.net isn't developing(at for now) DNF. So, it'll be ok.

As Yatta knows, I feel even bringing some of the other forums over to the community here at duke4.net will help people feel more at home. Like the Popular Media forum, set forums for 3DRealms/Apogee games and such.

I also would like to place a vote in for 3DR visual styled theme here. Maybe even a similar setup in the forums and sub-forums layout... or not... who knows.
Also for adding in the profile features. It was a great addition and really helped in making me feel more at "home" there so to speak.

• I have the power!

View PostLotan, on May 7 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

There won't be chaos. Maybe the members list will be doubled, but that's it. Duke4.net isn't developing(at for now) DNF. So, it'll be ok.

Still, a doubled member count is something to be reckoned with. More people = more posts = more potential trolls = more work for mods.

Of course, having 8 mods, 4 regular, is a lot. I am not sure 3DR had many more than that.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I'm currently unemployed so I can probably live with it. It'd just give me something to do anyway.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yatta, I think it'd be best to just keep the 3DR stuff as an archive. There is a lot of stuff which is probably never going to be brought up again, and it'll just make things messy here. A clean slate is good, I say.

Thanks guys. I'm a regular at the 3DR forums... I guess this is the Duke communities new home. Let's make the best of it.

And let's not forget that while 3DR went under, Duke is NOT dead. Between Apogee, Radar, or another company picking up the Duke IP, there will be plenty more Duke to come.

This isn't Duke's death; just a stumbling block.

This post has been edited by Bloodwolf806: 07 May 2009 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Please for the love of god, consider changing your forum software. :rolleyes:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postmsleeper, on May 7 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

Please for the love of god, consider changing your forum software. ;)

Yeah... I'm really aching for vB again, already. There's an IP.Board 3.0 coming out sometime soon though, so we might as well wait and see if it brings this any closer to vB. This isn't horrible but I'm really missing some of the cooler vB features... mostly the moderation stuff, but whatever. :rolleyes:

User is offline   ryche 

Posted Image

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

View PostTX, on May 7 2009, 09:12 PM, said:

Yeah... I'm really aching for vB again, already. There's an IP.Board 3.0 coming out sometime soon though, so we might as well wait and see if it brings this any closer to vB. This isn't horrible but I'm really missing some of the cooler vB features... mostly the moderation stuff, but whatever. :rolleyes:

Yeah I hear you, I've worked with pretty much every forum software out there and it's hard to beat VB in terms of features.

My biggest gripe with IP is the theme is really out of whack on my work PC where I'm at right now. I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu and it just looks like toasted ass.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It looks fine here, but everything is really chunky. A slimmer theme would be much appreciated.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Running Firefox on Linux Mint Felicia with Xfce it looks fine.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

We're going to take a stab at a second theme and let users decide what theme they want to use.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Why not add the option to chose between themes?
I think the idea of being able to choose between Classic duke4.net forums, new duke4.net forums, classic 3D Realms forums, new 3D Realms forums. would be good

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postzchri9, on May 7 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Why not add the option to chose between themes?
I think the idea of being able to choose between Classic duke4.net forums, new duke4.net forums, classic 3D Realms forums, new 3D Realms forums. would be good

That's what I was suggesting. Minus the classic stuff. :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options